Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Godess of Florals



I discovered Nadinoo a few weeks ago and i haven't shut up about it since. I am absolutely IN LOVE with the line... so after sitting at my computer drooling over the clothing for long enough i decided to email the designer/blogger, Nadia, to see if she would let me interview her for the 140Fashion blog. Here it is - hopefully this will be the first of many interviews! The questions are pretty cookie cutter but they definitely cover the basics. Hopefully with experience will come creativity... enjoy.




How did you decide to choose fashion as your career? To be honest I have no idea, I guess it was already chosen for me.. I have always loved clothes and felt inspired by them, choosing to study fashion just felt very natural. I have to say I'm glad I did now, as I really enjoy what I do and can’t imagine doing anything else.

Your big break – was it one of those right place right time moments? Did you see it coming? Did happen sooner than you thought?
I think I am still waiting for my big break, starting up on my own was a big risk as I left my comfy job designing for Puma. I only started to set up my Nadinoo label in February of this year so it is still too early to tell if I will make it. But I am very proud of what I have achieved in the last three months and feel very confident about the future.

Did you study fashion in school? I studied Fashion Design and Technology at Manchester Metropolitan University, it was a four-year course, which was incredibly hard work. I would love to go back to university and do a masters, perhaps at the Royal collage of Fashion or Saint Martins in London.

Inspiration? I suppose I am incredibly inspired by vintage eras, I never like to pin point one era though. I just take all the best bits I like and make them wearable today. I have never been hugely conceptual either, I prefer to work with the fabrics and silhouettes and then I feel the mood is produced from there.

Help from friends/family/important people? I have an amazingly supportive boyfriend, he is a graphic designer and has worked in the apparel industry for a lot longer than I have. It is so nice to talk through ideas with him and share opinions. I have a great deal to thank him for.

Describe your line in one sentence. Fun, feminine and perfect for flocking in a sunny field full of daisies…

Where can it be bought? I have my own independently run online shop. I also joined the Etsy community and have a little store on there too. I love Etsy, there is so much hand made talent on there!

Do you have any famous fans? Not yet but I would love to see Kirsten Dunst or Zooey Deschanel in my Nadinoo collection.

Any fashion pet peeves? Or any “rules” you like to ignore? Not really, I think people should wear what they feel good in. I only offer advice if asked, same as I would hate someone telling what I should wear. To hell with rules, fashion is meant to be fun!!

Favourite thing to wear? This summer I am loving my floral playsuit, I feel so precious in it! Sounds like I’m plugging my collection but I really could wear it in every colour.

Hobbies, interests? While I was working at Puma my hobby was sewing dresses, but as I do that now as a job I like to switch off by reading a good book or cooking a lovely tasty meal.

Favourite Designers? I love the See by Chloe collections, I think I could buy almost everything from there SS09 collection, also Cacharel, APC, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Paul & Joe Sister, the list goes on…

How long does it generally take to make an item (from design to finished product)? Depends on how complicated the design is but some days I can wake up in the morning with an idea and have the garment made by the evening and in my shop.

Where do you do your work? Home, studio, office, outside? I have my own studio on the top of our apartment, it is the perfect place to work as there is plenty of light and space and when it’s sunny I get to do my unpicking and pinning on the roof terrace.




Thank you, Nadia!

No comments:

Post a Comment